Sunday, July 14, 2013

Thinking Thoughts While I Run...

Today was a long run day...7 miles at a comfortable 9:34 pace.  For me running is a reflective quiet time - just me and whatever is going on in my head...with my body rudely chiming in with complaints from time to time.

I think of a ton of great ideas during this time, most of which I promptly forget as I attach my Garmin to my laptop to review the details of my run.  One of the things I thought about today (and remembered) was how great it would be if there was a light, small and hands free way to record our thoughts.  Certainly something easier to manage than this 1930's model...

FOR THE RECORD - If anyone does create the "Portable Thought Recorder", I fully expect some sort of compensation for coming up with the concept!  Uh, patent pending???  Yeah...sure...

Well, other than that moment of genius, I ponder the same important topics that everyone else thinks about in a moment to themselves:  work, kids, relationships, what I'm having for lunch...will Brad and Angelina ever tie the knot?

One serious issue I would encourage runners to think about is their safety.     As in, can you describe the person you just ran by?  If they were running toward you, did you make eye contact?  Did you greet each other?  If you passed them, were they working hard or taking it easy?  Did they fall behind or keep pace with you now that you're ahead?  Basically what could you say about them to the police if they tried to mug you...while you're alone...in the woods/path/park/trail?

There are any number of details that you should be alert to for the critical reason of keeping yourself safe.  And for God's sake, DO NOT wear both ear buds in with the volume turned up.  Don't get me wrong, I find music motivating too, but I only use one ear bud.  Why would you voluntarily deprive yourself of one of your key warning senses?

Not to be overly dramatic, but people do get attacked when they are running/walking and it's not only women.

Just this past May a Virginia Beach man was attacked while jogging near his neighborhood...stabbed multiple times for no good reason.  Everyone knows runners don't carry large amounts of cash on them.


Not exactly where I imagined this post going when I started, but it's definitely food for thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment